The focus for the rest of these reflections shall primarily be the Team Project.
The Team :
Having been put into Teams somewhat randomly in a tutorial previously, we began to get more aquainted with each other through tutorial excersises, which amounted to apply a WBS (Work Breakdown Structure) to a bicycle.
First breaking it down into its different parts, then applying some level of ordering. Our ordered version amounted to little more than a numbered list, which paled in comparision to some of the diagrams by other teams, so I consider this an important lesson learned.
Then the details of the assignment were handed out, and our team decided to meet up in CSIS on Tuesday, 4/10, Week 5 of the College Semester. Here we went into a lab, sat at two computers and reviewed the specification for the project. We talked through the different documents, trying to help each other understand what was required and how we could assign different required articles to different people.
But we struggled. We found it rather vague, especially because each of us missed a key detail about the nature of the Project Proposal Required. So I e-mailed our lecturer and we decided to meet up on the following Thursday evening, to properly bite into the project, hopefully with a better understand of what was required.
At the tutorial, on Thursday Afternoon, we questioned the lecturer and he helped us grasp a firmer understanding of the fact that after the Project Charter is completed we’ll be in a better position for assigning work to different people. That evening, Kieran, Selene and I went to an empty lab in CSIS and sat down to hammer out the charter. Gillian couldn’t attend as she had unexpectedly been assigned to work that evening.
We worked from 6 to 8, with Selene and I alternating between who would be at keyboard (with the other 2 members sitting next to & dictating) in a manner somewhat like pair programming. We used common sense & what we had learned in lectures/previous employment for a lot of what we came up with, but when it came to specific finacial figures we searched for likely amounts based on similar situations.
At the end of the night, we volunteered for which document each of us would take to work on (within Reason, due to us CS Students having big FYP deadlines in Week 6 & Week 7) and assigned the rest to Gillian (jokingly!)
Here’s to finishing the rest of this Project!