Sean Mc on Skynet

Fraser Island

As I've already said we booked onto a trip to Fraser Island, this is a 3 day, 2 night trip where they set 10 tourists in a 4x4 off-road truck loose on the worlds biggest Sand Island. Being a sand island there's no sealed road on the island and all the unsealed roads are tracks in the soft sand. A potential recipe for disaster you might think. Fortunately the group we ended up with were all like minded people wanted a fun weekend and just to get along with each other. Everyone in the group pulled their weight and everyone drove responsiblly and with the comfort of the other 9 people in mind, a great bunch of people. Our group included, 1 Corkmand(that's me), 1 from Monaghan(Clare), 2 from Dublin, 1 from Kildare, 1 from Laois, 2 English girls and 2 German girls.

Before leaving Hervey Bay were given a quick driving lesson which didn't involve driving(it was assumed we knew what a steering wheel was) and a talk about what equipment we were bringing with us to the island. All camping gear and cooking equipment and even some firewood was provided. We each chipped in €20 to buy food and most of us donated some food that we had ourselves already.

The tour company gave us a suggested itinerary for the trip so we couldn't even get lost. They even escorted us to the ferry to make sure we got there on time. Once the ferry pulled away from the port we were on our own.

Once on the island our first stop was Lake Mackenzie, the largest freshwater lake on the island. It amazes me that a sand island can have over 100 freshwater lakes. This lake was probably the nicest scene we'd come across so far in Australia. The photo below doesn't do it justice.

Although the island isn't really that large it still takes time to get anywhere because of the and trails. So the itinerary for the rest of the day kept us along the beach, we had a look at a rusted old shipwreck, the ship was called the Maheno. The other sight of the day was a rock formation known as the pinnacles. The pinnacles look good but after seeing so many other rock formations they're really just more rocks.

By now it was getting late and we still had to get to our campsite and cook dinner. We stayed at the Dundubarra campground. This was a national parks campsite and was fully equipped with toilets, showers and bbq's for cooking on. There was even a dingo fence around the perimeter to keep the dingos out, not that we saw many of them anyway.

The next morning we had to get going early to drive north to Indian heads. The reason for getting going early was that we had to be at Indian head before the tide got too high and we'd have been stranded. We looked about this area for a while, hoping to see some sharks in the water below. I'm not sure we saw some sharks but we did see a dolphin playing in the surf, it was catching a wave in and then swimming out to catch it back in again. I'd never seen a dolphin playing in the surf before, it was fascinating.

From there we had a 40minute walk north to Middle Rocks aka Champagne pools. As we neared the area we saw a group of people bathing in a rockpool so we figured that was it, and joined them. It wasn't until sometime later that 2 of us decided to have a look around the area and found the real champagne pools, at the far side of the same headland. They were fun to play about in, the waves continuously crashed into the large pool and gave them a frothy champagne like look (hence the name) and still it was big enough to find calm water to lie in. UNfortunately by time we dragged evveryone else to the pols we didn't have a lot of time to lounge around, but it was still worth it. After this it was a long slog back to 4x4 in the heat of the midday sun before driving back to Dundubarra campsite to have lunch.

AFter lunch we drove further down the beach to Eli creek, we'd been told that this was a great place to go for a swim in the river and float gently downstream much like a lazy river at a leisure centre. It was so lazy though that there wasn't much floating involved but walking the shallow water instead to get downstream. I think it had been hyped up a bit. It didn't take long to get bored here so we played volleyball until the sun was almost set instead.

Our campsite tonight was the K'gari aborgine camp. No bbq tonight so it was regular cooking on gas stoves instead, but we did have a campfire that went on until the wee small hours. The Aborigine in charge of the site joined us and played his dijerdoo for a few hours, he gave moct of us the chance to play too but not too many people were able to get a note out. There was no dingo fence about this site so we did see a few dingo's wandering through the site during the course of the evening.

Up early again to race the tide along the beach so we could visit Lake Wabby. It was only a 2km walk from the beach into Lake Wabby but it was one of the toughest slogs I've ever done. The first 750m were easy trail wakling but after that we were walking across a sandblow(mini desert) where every footstep we out in the ground sunk into the soft dry sand. I think it was worth it for the view of the lake, only thing was though, we now had to walk 2km back.

Our trip was nearly over now, just another visit to Lake Mackenzie before driving to the ferry. It was a good weekend made great by the by the people on the trip.

Our plan for the next day was to visit Australia Zoo so after getting back to Hervey bay we got on the road South as quick as we could and phoned ahead to sort out accomodation in a place called Mooloolaba

If you want more information on the tour company we used just go to
or if you want to find out more about Frser Island go here

posted by SeanMc @ 6:17 AM,


Post a Comment

<< Home

Web This Blog

About me


Previous Posts


Powered By

Powered by Blogger